Suggested Homeschooling Resources
- Resources correlated to BC’s New Curriculum can be found on our Grade Level Pages.
- For more information, please contact:
- Many of the resources listed below will need supplementation, as they may not fully cover all of the content and curricular competencies. Please discuss this with your contact teacher.
- The links provided below most often bring you to the publisher’s website, however most of these products can be purchased from one of our preferred vendors using your PO#.
- There are many different ways to address Arts Education (which does not have to be media arts), but one noteworthy curriculum is Artistic Pursuits.
- Apologia’s Young Defender Series for grades K - 3
- Apologia’s What We Believe series is a wonderful worldview-based series for Grades 4 - 8
- The Biblical Worldview Studies through Summit Ministries
- Positive Action for Christ Bible Curriculum for K - 6
- Christian Studies by Memoria Press
- The Action Bible graphic (comic-book like) Bible for older students
- A great resource for understanding the Bible better is the Victor Journey Through the Bible.
English Language Arts:
- Come Sit By Me - Canadian picture book unit study for grades K - 2
- Five in a Row - unit study lesson plans to use with classic children’s literature, grades K - 6
- Sonlight is a literature based program that integrates history, literature, and Bible. They also carry great science materials
- Teaching the Classics. With this program you will never need to buy another “novel study”, as it teaches literary analysis from K - 12
- Friends and Heroes Bible Unit Studies
- Story Stretchers, Layers of Learning, Learning Adventures
- Veritas Press has some wonderful choices in their Literature Studies, which are by grade level
- Center for Lit resources
- Classroom Complete Press’ Novel Study Literature Kits include higher-order thinking questions
- First Language Lessons
- Grammar and Punctuation by Evan Moor
- Winston Grammar - an excellent resource for children struggling with grammar, as there are many “games”
- Easy Grammar. 10 minutes a day to increase grammar skills
- Analytical Grammar (for grades 6 and up)
- All About Reading is a scripted, comprehensive, and multisensory program for teaching reading
- Primary Arts of Reading
- Explode the Code. Workbook-based, or online, for phonics practice and beginning reading and spelling
- Reading Rods is a great complementary item for hands-on learners
- All about Spelling is a program based loosely on the Orton Gillingham method of teaching spelling. It is a little more time consuming, but has had great results for both struggling and strong spellers
- Spelling Workout is an easy-to-follow workbook format
- Spectrum Spelling is an easy-to-follow workbook format
- Sequential Spelling is a good option for students who struggle with spelling
- Excellent Resources materials are popular because of the DVD component and the strong writing instruction
- An easy-to-use program for the primary grades is Just Write. Please note that book 1 is for Grade 2, and book 2 is for Grade 3, etc.
- Jump in! This writing program by Apologia offers both writing instruction and writing inspiration for grades 5 - 8
- Brave Writer. A variety of home study and online writing courses for students of all ages
- Writing Strands is written for homeschoolers and has been a popular resource for years.
- Classical Writing. The FAQs tell a lot about the program. It does take a lot of parental time and it’s different from modern writing programs
- Cover Story Writing for Middle School or The One Year Adventure Novel for High School offer longer term writing projects that are broken into smaller instructional bites. For the student with a passion to write, this is a great opportunity
- Elegant Essay for essay writing in grades 8/9
- An excellent book by Gordon Neufeld is Hold on to Your Kids
- The Maxwells carry a number of resources on how to manage a homeschooling household, how to handle chores, and how to parent
- Character Building for Families
- Debra Bell’s Ultimate Guide to Homeschooling is an excellent book for new homeschoolers or for teachers who are new to homeschooling
- Right Start Mathematics. Very hands-on and great for younger kids. Lots of games, manipulatives and activities
- Dynamic Classroom Easy Math Guides (formerly Raven Math). BC Correlated Math program for Grade 4 and up
- Jump Math. A scaffolding math program that breaks down math in order to learn each step
- Singapore Mathematics.
- Saxon Math. A more traditional spiralled math program for those that enjoy lots of practice in math
- MathStart math literacy books for Grades K - 3
- Sir Cumference Math Adventures math literacy books for Grades 1 - 6
- TOPS topic-based hands-on lessons for Grades 5 and up
- Bee-Bot robot for teaching sequencing, estimation, problem-solving
Physical and Health Education:
- Total Health Middle School can be used over multiple years; grades 5 - 8
- Total Health High School can be used over multiple years, grades 9 - 12
- Apologia Science - comprehensive curriculum for all ages
- The God’s Design Series for grades 3 - 8, and Wonders of Creation Series, which is good for multi-level teaching, as it has special color-coding on three skill levels
- Investigate the Possibilities for Grades K - 3 series from Master Books includes lots of hands-on learning opportunities
- Let’s Read and Find Out Science - Stage 1 and Stage 2 read-aloud books for younger children
- Classroom Complete Press Workbooks
- Tops Science, Noeo Science, The Young Scientist Club
- ScienceWiz kits include the required materials for hands-on learning, and an informative book explaining the science concepts being learned
- Ein-O Science kits contain the required materials for hands on learning, and an explanatory booklet
- Steve Spangler Science - for video tutorial experiments
- Rainbow Science is for the junior high years - This one needs to be ordered directly from the publisher
- One very popular resource for second languages is The Easy French. It’s written to be used by a homeschooler and the author is a Francophone, Christian, homeschooling mom. There is also The Easy Spanish.
- Duolingo is a free online language learning platform
- Donna Ward has some great resources for studying Canada - Including Canada, Our Country, Canada’s Natives Long Ago, and Courage and Conquest
- Kids Can Press Canada Series
- Classroom Complete Press Workbooks with Projects
- Sonlight is a literature-based program that integrates history, literature, and Bible. They also carry great science materials
- Diana Waring History Revealed is a great resource for grades 7 -9. This program comes from a strong Christian perspective. The readings are included and there are also assignments for each week.
If you would like to integrate STEAM into your lesson plans, please refer to our page here.
- Picture Perfect STEM Lessons for children’s literature
- Tiggly Wiggly (Ipad integration for Gr. K - 3)
- OSMO (hands-on learning with iPad for K - 6)
- LightUp - circuits, coding, etc.
- Squishy Circuits - create sculptures that light up, move, make noise
- Makey, Makey
- Educational building: