Senior Visual Designer
What are we looking for?
We are looking for an experienced and talented Senior Visual Designer to join our Visual Design team in shaping the future of HCOS and StudyForge in visual identity, creative marketing collateral, and digital illustration.
Someone who can design for a variety of visual design needs to create awesome graphics, beautiful artwork and strong layouts based on creative briefs and team collaboration. A conceptual thinker who provides solutions to problems and constantly thinks of ways to improve what we are working on.
If you love designing, creating digital art and pushing the bar higher, we’d love to meet you.
How we work
Remotely but Together, Constructive Collaboration, Quality through Iteration, Growth by Encouragement.
We love what we do and work hard together, location doesn't hinder us. We improve ourselves and the projects we work on through strong collaboration, design principles, constructive feedback and encouragement. Whether it is an illustration, brand identity design, website or graphic design, we approach each with a desire to see our users and teams succeed in meaningful ways.
Who are we?
The Visual Design team is the visual development department of Heritage Christian Online School (HCOS), a K-12 Online Learning school, providing fully-accredited education to students in BC. HCOS also includes StudyForge, an online curriculum company licensing courses to other schools across Canada and the United States, serving over ten thousand students every year. We work to create digital learning experiences that delight students, captivating their attention and imagination. We accomplish this by infusing our content with stunning visuals through a design process and concept-phase collaboration that drives innovative production. HCOS is a part of Kelowna Christian Centre Society, a non-profit organization headquartered in Kelowna, BC.
What will you be doing?
- Collaborating with the Design, HCOS and StudyForge teams to bring engaging experiences to students through curriculum development
- Concepting new and fun visual styles for various subjects and grade levels that support student learning
- Developing high quality illustrations, digital art and graphic designs
- Creating layouts from content that integrate the course art direction and visuals for an appealing and engaging student experience
- Bringing new ideas that help HCOS and StudyForge lead the way in delivering awesome educational digital content
- Helping develop and refine brand identity for HCOS and StudyForge
- Supporting HCOS and StudyForge with marketing campaigns by creating print and digital collateral
- Explaining creative choices and provide strong feedback through design terminology and principles to team members
- Bringing solutions and iterate continually to improve the visuals and user engagement of all projects
- Creating visuals for HCOS and departments as needed, this means lots of project variety
What you will bring:
- 5+ years design or illustration experience
- Passionate about design and digital art
- A positive attitude
- Knowledge of current design and illustration trends
- Excellent time and priority management skills
- Ability to change pace and direction with shifting deadlines
- Strong ability to collaborate and communicate
- Provide constructive feedback to improve all aspects of design
- Amazing graphic designs, illustrations, digital art and sketching through a well developed process and eagle eye attention to details
- Expert skill set in Photoshop, Illustrator, Figma, Indesign among other image making software
- Great understanding of design principles including visual hierarchy, color use, and typography
- Strong ability to create narrative illustrations and a great eye for composition
- Ability to stay on brand or art direction
- A strong portfolio with graphic design, illustration and digital art samples
Nice to have:
- 3D knowledge and experience in Blender or other 3D software
- Motion design or animation experience
We have high expectations for all of our team:
- Excellent communicators, both verbal and written
- Valuing of relationship, empathetic, servant-hearted
- Relentless and determined when solving complex issues
- Open and willing to both give and receive constructive feedback
- Flexible and willing to learn new technologies
What we can offer you:
- Collaboration: work with curriculum writers, designers, senior software developers
- Creativity: bring new ideas and visual styles to projects
- Variety: many types of design work and challenges
- Balance: 3 weeks annual vacation to start
- Flexibility: work from home
- Competitive Compensation:
- Salary based on qualifications and experience
- RRSP Match Program,
- Life Insurance,
- Dependent Life Insurance,
- Long Term Disability,
- Travel Insurance,
- Extended Health and Dental,
- Health Spending Account,
- Employee & Family Assistance Plan